Friday, February 10, 2017

Winded Arsene Wenger, Angry Fans and Indifferent Superstars: A perfect Recipe For Hull City Tigers To Gore Arsenal In Saturday's Early EPL Kick Off



 This time, Arsenal fans concede that the implosion hit us below the belt.Wenger let us down (we are used to that) but he wasn’t alone and that is hard to take. This seasons’s habit of key players failing to turn up in crucial matches such as at home against Watford and then away to Chelsea did it for the fans. 

Football can be sad: true. Arsenal can drain you: truest. Our beloved London club can go beyond sad- if there is such a thing. Arsenal fans have always had it within themselves to overcome implosion after implosion and look forward to the new season optimistic that the lessons had been learned.


Don’t be fooled by the vitriol in the blogs or the mike dropping on Arsenal Fan TV; all of us gooners had hoped for one last hurray with Arsene Wenger the creator of The Invincibles. I repeat, ALL Arsenal fans, but it went down so bad. Legend Ian wright doing his pundit thing says he saw a defeated (winded) man in Wenger this past week having spent some time with the boss at a corporate event. It’s bad.

Forgive the tone in today’s post. Excuse the empathetic voice. Will you? I am exhausted at being angry; beyond the hopeful skepticism of denial and through with the self-pity of bargaining. This post is a taxi into the Zen of acceptance.

I am accepting that we’ve had our thrills with Wenger. We’ve enjoyed improbable wins over the mighty Inter Milan and Real Madrid. We’ve created lasting memories with Nwonkwo Kanu at Chelsea; Sylvian Wiltord at Old Trafford and Andrei Arshavin over Barcelona. I accept that things have changed now. As Arsenal legend Ian Wright offers, acceptance leaves one winded.

I accept that Cesc Fabregas and Robin Van Persie is Arsenal’s and Arsene Wenger’s 21st century answers to Vierra, Bould, and Dennis the Dutchman and Thierry et.al. (Yes, The Invincibles were there in 2004 i.e. past Y2K Armageddon, but you get the drift!). I accept that just like Caesar, Wenger collects his dues with the disastrous Kim Kallstrom, Park and other sad cases signings.

Likewise you can’t fault the Frenchman for the sad tales of Eduardo, Diaby or Rosicky. We also have to let Alexis, Wilshere, Ozil and Cech carry their crosses.  I accept that thanks to the aforementioned we brought knives to a gun fight and the second Invincibles project has come to a cropper.

I also accept that be it Juventus Max Allegri, Borrusia Dortmund’s Tuchel, Bayer Leverkusen’s Rodger Schmidt, Monaco’s Leonardo Jardim, Red Bull Leipzig’s Ralph Hasenhuttl or Atletico Madrid’s Diego Simeone; whoever takes over Wenger will be given a boost by the Frenchman’s frugality as they will have the tools to make it right thanks to Arsenal’s fat bank balance.

In the mean, I accept that I am an Arsenal fan in every regard and await Arsene Wenger to finally deliver the Champions League on his way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...