Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Inspiration From The Manchester Clubs Forward You March Dear Arsenal
So many times before, I have roared old Debby to life, found my way up the programs menu clicked on the Microsoft Word sub-menu and just stared onto the blank page. Not that my mind was a blank page, more because my thoughts Arsenal were more akin to a Schizophrenic's thought abundance.
Somehow, and I like to think its nothing to do with the Guinness, I found my voice among the bunch down at the pub where I catch the game. The gang's verdict has been unanimous all the time: I must be more deluded than Arsene Wenger.
Deluded,like the last time out, to foresee a humiliation of Manchester City at the Allianz arena. Deluded to suggest that Stoke City just like Fulham the weekend before, would bring some perspective to all the blind rhetoric.
For my efforts, I have lost both my names and as I go about my day business, I have gotten used to responding to the name Arsenal. “How are you doing Arsenal?” and so forth. I don't mind my de facto status as brand ambassador for 'the model 21st century super-club' in my part of the world.
I also don't mind being the object of all jokes, jibes and taunts Arsenal that have gained tempo thanks to all the negativity in the media. For one, all the trepidations faced at Ashburton Groove came just at the right time.
The departures of Cesc and Nasri, though not planned for, came at the right time. To use an analogy, it's akin to that moment in life when you move out of mommy's warm bosom: liberating is the freedom and so is the added responsibility that comes in tow.
Take the case of 100 star Robin Van Persie. With the Cesc's shadow moving on, the band on the arm and we have a Captain who not only leads with talent, technical ability and on field performance but throws in the X- factor as evident in that Bolton incident when he not only stood his ground amongst four or so Bolton players but did enough to instill doubt.
To me, that moment there marked the turning point of the game. In itself, just a plot on the change curve at the Arsenal. The legion of critics are quick to dwell on points that fall outside this curve's line of best fit. To add valor to their doomsday talk, it's not uncommon for contrasts to be drawn with either of the Manchester clubs.
I wonder what will be written in tomorrow's back pages of the capitulation of the Manchester clubs in Europe's elite competition. God forbid if it were Arsenal in either of the scripts. Not to be a victim of the shortsightedness and skin deep analysis of events of that plights the legion of sports columnists, pundits and analysts, I shall not attempt to take the events of night three of the 2011/12 Champions league season as pointers of how not to do things.
Primarily because I doubt if there is anything to learn in that,not if you are talking about the model club of the 21st Century ( but that is a story for another day). Moving on to tomorrow, injuries dominate the headlines ahead of the Olympiacos tie at the Emirates.
I tend to think the absentees in Walcott, Gervinho and Kos are more precautionary keeping in mind we still have to deal with the noisy neighbors this coming weekend. As our 14 years on the trot experience with juggling domestic demands with continental obligations (as the Spuds came to realize and Manchester city will come to realize) calls for striking the right balance.
On for Gervinho, I will opt for the much rested Andrei Arshavin who sparkles more in Europe than the more physical EPL. For Walcott, Alex Ox should get a nod- first because he deserves it and secondly because doing that would be the Arsenal way.
To pair Per at the back, Djorou should get his chance to learn from a master. At left back, Santos would be my pick- not only to gel him into the team, but also to allow Gibbs the breaks he needs to keep the injuries at bay.
Bench: Ryo, Rosicky, Chamakh, Miguel, Frimpong, Flappy, Jenks
Forward you march Gunners. 2-0 will do.
Join us on our facebook page, follow Swahiligunner@ twitter leave your comments. Till next time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A bit rambling mate so steer clear of the Guiness next time you're thinking of posting but overall I agree with your analysis. AFC and RVP are now on their own and must find the right chemistry. They are starting to gel and, if as I suspect, we take all 3 points at the Emirates on Wednesday, with a ¨weaker¨ team it will prove two things:
ReplyDelete1)Our depth is far stronger than last year,and
2)once we have everyone back fit, we'll be right up there with the best of them.
There is NO doubt that AW is taking precautions for Sunday week and hopefully we'll finally get to see AOC, Ryo, Santos and Park together.
I think Arteta will play behind RVP and Wilshere beside Song. The only two guys who worry me are Djourou and Squillaci(if he's fit?) but other than that we have what it takes to get all 3 points.